Regional Passport Office (RPO) was established in George Town in Chennai (formerly Madras) in the year 1955. In the year 1966, it was shifted to the Govt. owned premises of Shastri Bhavan located at 26, Haddows Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai – 600 006, where a number of other Central Govt. Offices are also located.
Initially, RPO, Chennai was catering to the needs of Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry in addition to the neighbouring States of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. In 1976 separate passport offices for these three states were established. In the year 1983, RPO, Chennai was again bifurcated and a separate office was established at Trichy with its own jurisdiction. Regional Passport Office, Chennai is primarily responsible for issuance of Indian Passports to the Citizens of India who are residing within its jurisdictional area.
For more information, please visit http://passport.tn.nic.in